Workbee is Sunday October 27th
We’ll meet at Lakeside on Sunday October 27 from 10:00 am until approximately noon (or until we’re tired) to prepare the ground for planting day.
What’s we’ll be doing during the workbee
- Preparing mounds & moats for our apple trees (we’ll give you the scoop on why we’re creating mounds during the workbee)
- Wrapping hardware cloth around the 8 fruit trees already planted to protect them from critters over the winter
- Creating a new path & second fruit tree circular planting area
And remember we have a compost workshop on Saturday October 26 with compost expert Harris Ivens. Learn the secrete ingredient to creating amazing homemade fertilizer for home or garden.
Planting day Saturday November 9th
Saturday November 9, 10:00 am – noon (rain date, Sunday November 10, 10:00 am – noon)
What we’ll plant:
- 11 apple trees (each a different variety)
- 2 sweet chestnuts
- 2 grape vines (which we’ll prune after we plant)
- aronia berries, haskap berries, blackcurrants, goji berries and schisandra vine (5 flavour berry), gooseberry
- black & honey locusts (to feed our fruit trees)
Then we’ll eat:
After we’re done planting, we’ll celebrate over a meal at 764 Meadowood Road in Collins Bay. We’ll have enough vegetarian soup and spelt sourdough bread for everyone, but if you’re able to contribute a potluck dish, bring it with you.
Thank you to our supporters!
- Canadian Tire on Princess Street for the 30 shrubs and the plums, cherries and pears
- Rideau 1000 Island Master Gardeners for the 11 apple trees
- Burt’s Greenhouse for the strawberries and herbs
- Riley’s for the grapes and gooseberry