Yesterday the province of Ontario announced that all community gardens are closed due to COVOID-19. We are asking that Community Gardens be declared exempt as they are essential services for food production. Here is what you can do:
- Please DO NOT VISIT THE GARDEN, it is closed until further notice.
- Sign the Open Letter asking the government to identify Community Gardens as essential community food services which must be exempt from the recently announced closure of recreational spaces by the Province of Ontario.
- Email, call, write or tweet your MP, MPP, City Councillor & Mayor (contact information included below). Just Food in Ottawa has a suggested template.
The Board met last night and we are still planning for the gardening season. In fact, we will be opening up 10 new permanent plots. We will be reaching out to people on the waiting list.
Mark Gerretson, MP
- (613) 542-3243
Ian Arthur, MPP:
- Email: IArthur-CO@ndp.on.ca
- Phone: 613-547-2385
- Twitter: @IanArthurMPP
Wayne Hill, City Councillor for Lakeside: (if you’re in a different district, you can find your councillors contact information here)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 613-328-5718
- Twitter: @WayneHill_YGK
Bryan Patterson, Mayor
- Phone: 613-546-4291